Who can apply for a Short-term Study visa?

If you are coming to study a course at the university for less than six months you can apply for a Short-term Study visa. However, please be aware of the following.

  •   You are unable to change your visa category (for extensions etc) from within the UK.  If you want to study a different course, you must return home and apply for a Tier 4 Student visa before you can continue with your study.
  • You are not permitted to bring dependants to the UK on a Short-term study Visitor visa.
  • This visa is not permitted for courses that are longer than six months.
  • You are not permitted to work during your study in the UK.
  • You need to leave the country once your course is finished within the time frame requested.

How to apply for a Short-term Study visa

You should apply using the online application form.

Once you are on the Visa4UK website select 'Apply for a UK visa now'. After you have answered the security questions, you will be asked to 'select visa type'. When asked the 'reason for your visit' you should select 'visit'. When asked for the 'visa type', please select 'special visitor' and for 'visa sub type' please select 'student visitor, up to 6 months'.

The cost of applying for a Short-term Study visa (for six months) is currently £97 (costs may change).

Documents that you should provide in support of your application include: University letter confirming course of study and including the Tier 4 sponsor license number, bank statements and accommodation letter.

Last Update July 27 2018