If you are from the EEA (the European Economic Area), Norway or Switzerland you do not need to apply for immigration permission to enter the UK.

From the 24 April 2015, the Student Visitor Visa was re-branded as the Short Term Student Visa. Depending on when you apply or when a decision is made on your application, you may receive a visa which says either Student Visitor or Short Term Student.

If you are from outside the EEA and you are coming to study at Amity London for less than six months, you can come to the UK as a Short Term Student. Usually you cannot come to the UK as a Tier 4 student unless you are planning to continue on another programme (for example if you are studying on the Summer School and going to study on a full time programme).

What are the rules for short term students?

  • You can stay in the UK for a maximum of 6 months or by the completion of your course (whichever is sooner)
  • You can apply 11 months to study English language only
  • You cannot apply in the UK to extend your stay
  • You cannot work in the UK
  • You are not entitled to free treatment from the National Health Service (except in an emergency at Accident and Emergency in a hospital)
  • You cannot use the Short Term Student visa to study a full time programme by applying for successive visas  
  • You cannot switch into another visa category once you are in the UK. That means you must leave the UK on or before the visa expiry.
  • You cannot bring dependants with you.

Where do I apply?

This depends on your nationality. If you are a 'visa national', you must apply outside the UK to enter as a Short-term Student. Visa nationals always need a visa to enter the UK. You can check if you are a visa national on the gov.uk website.

If your country is not on the list, you are a 'non-visa national'. This means that you can choose to apply at the embassy in your own country for permission before you leave. Alternatively you can bring all your documents and apply at the border when you arrive in the UK. If you apply at the airport, there is no charge.

When do I apply at the embassy?

You can apply up to three months before the date that you intend to travel to the UK (you can state on the application form when you intend to come to the UK and the visa start date will be close to this). You can check how long it takes to process Short-term applications in your country on the UK Visas and Immigration website. See under 'Other Visitor'.

Visa processing times

Why apply at the embassy for entry clearance?

  • As outlined above, if you are a 'visa national', you must apply at the embassy for entry clearance. It currently costs £89 to apply for a six month Short Term Student visa at the embassy.
  • If you apply for entry clearance, it is possible to obtain 'multiple entry' permission. This means you can leave and re-enter the UK using the same Student Visitor visa (which will be a sticker in your passport). If you apply at the airport, you will be granted permission for one entry only (this will be an ink stamp) and when you leave the UK or Common Travel Area (Ireland), the visa 'cancels' and you need to present again the next time you enter the UK.
  • When you arrive at the UK with 'entry clearance' you already have permission to enter the UK. This means if you are refused entry you have a right to appeal against the decision.

How do I apply at the embassy?

You need to submit the online application form and you will also have to submit your biometrics (fingerprint scans and a digital photo of your face). In some countries you can only apply using paper forms. The Home Office website lists how you can apply and how to book a biometric appointment. For further information please refer to UK Visas and Immigration (https://www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa).

How do I apply when I enter the UK?

Remember you can only apply at the airport or on Eurostar or at a port if you are coming to study in the UK for less than six months and you are a 'non-visa national'.

You don't need to complete an application form but you need to carry all your documents and present them to the immigration officer when you arrive who will ask you about your plans and about your programme of study. It is important that you state that you would like to enter the UK as a Short-term Student.

What documents do I need?

To obtain permission as a Student Visitor/Short Term Student you need a letter to show that you are going to study at an accredited institution. This includes institutions who hold a Tier 4 sponsor license. Your letter will confirm that the institution holds a license.

 In addition to the document from Amity London you need to show:

  • You are over 18 years old
  • Your visit will not last longer than 6 months (unless you are applying for the extended English language student visitor visa)  
  • You intend to leave the UK at the end of your student visit
  • You do not intend to work
  • You have enough money to support yourself while in the UK
  • You can pay for your return journey home (you can show a return ticket)

How much money do I need to show?

The immigration rules for Short-term Students do not state exactly how much money you need to show but the guidance states that you should be able to show evidence of funds to cover your period of stay in the UK and your journey to and from the UK. The amount needed for maintenance is likely to be around £1,265 per month.

For more information please visit and check the following links:

UK Visas and Immigration (https://www.gov.uk/study-visit-visa) - summary page on Short Term Students

UKCISA (http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/Visas-and-Immigration/Short-term-student-visa ) - making a Student Visitor application